The Malaysian Water Association (MWA) brings together practitioners in the water service industries value chain. Our membership consists of both individuals and organisations.The strength of the association is derived from the mix of members coming from water supply and sewerage utilities, manufacturers, consultants, contractors, suppliers, regulators and academicians.
MWA is a platform for efforts towards bringing about enhancement of the knowledge and skill of its members and promotes awareness of water issues among the public. Together with this, public interests and environmental concerns are also promoted. MWA puts forward views of the members to the authorities and makes representation on strategic issues. In essence, we are committed towards promoting sustainable management of the water services.
Internationally, MWA maintains linkages with related organisations abroad to establish networking in order to realize the water industry’s common universal goals. We are also a Corporate Member of the International Water Association (IWA).
The present Council took over the management of the affairs of the Association after the conclusion of MWA 33rd AGM on 24 April 2021. The Council consists of 15 elected members, 5 appointed members and 1 Immediate Past President.
The Secretariat is now occupying the second floor of its building in Taman Sri Hartamas since 1 May 2005. The MWA Secretariat comprises of a Group Executive Director, a Manager, a Group Account Executive, an Account Assistant, an Admin. & Membership Executive and an Admin. Assistant.
To promote synergy and enhance knowledge and good practice within the Malaysian water and wastewater industries to enable them to achieve their corporate goals and hence contributing effectively towards creating national competitiveness and success. We will focus and work on strategic issues and help outline direction and priorities in the industries.
Nationally we will work in close cooperation with all parties in the government and private sectors. We will network internationally by establishing and maintaining linkages with related organisations abroad. We believe in professionalism, teamwork, free exchange of information and learning. Our members are dedicated and are friends to the water and wastewater industries.
Malaysian Water Association (MWA) was formed and registered in 1988 as a non-profit organisation. The objects of the Association shall be:
- To promote and advance the science and practice of engineering and management in the water supply and wastewater industries.
- To provide advice and information on water supply and wastewater to public and private bodies as well as the public in general.
- To publicise new technologies and promote the use of appropriate technology in the water supply and wastewater industries.
- To provide a forum for exchange of views among various sectors making up the water and wastewater industries, including water authorities, research bodies, consultants, manufacturers, suppliers and contractors.
- To gather and disseminate through publications and other appropriate means information on water supply and wastewater with prior approval of relevant authority.
- To promote and update standardisation in water supply and wastewater practices, and also in goods, equipment and fittings used in the water supply and the wastewater industries.
- To promote training, research and development in the science and practice of engineering and management in the water supply and wastewater industries.
- To cooperate, as may seem conducive to any of the above objects, with national and international organisations and to support and complement their activities.
Honours & Awards
The Malaysia Water Awards are presented annually for outstanding contributions to Malaysian individuals or institutions in the field of water and wastewater engineering either in Research and Management.
Awarded by the Malaysian Water Association, the Malaysia Water Awards honour achievements in science, engineering, technology, education or public policy that have resulted in significant impact in advancing the science and practice of water and wastewater engineering at national and international level. These contributions involve achievements in management and innovations, design, and engineering solutions which have immediate application to the industry as a whole.
The Malaysia Water Awards comes with a prize of a Challenge Crystal Trophy, a commemorative Plaque and RM5,000.
MWA has instituted the Malaysia Water Awards since 1994. Followings are the award winners:
What You Can Do For MWA
What You Can Do For MWA
The success of MWA so far is due to its members’ enthusiastic support and to the financial donations of some of the Institutional Members. This had helped the association to finance and advance its objectives in a structured manner. For the new millennium, apart from advancing the technology, science, management and government policies relative to the stewardship of water, MWA is prepared to re-examine its direction and scope to include a much broader agenda than the ones present.
Our ambition include: putting in more effort on community education, information and awareness-building among all Malaysians; striving to be proactive and effective in guiding, influencing and assisting the general public, business and industry, community and government sectors on water issues;
providing the means to achieving greater technical competency, capability and capacity among the water industry players for a sustainable and efficient water management in Malaysia; developing relationships and the level of collaboration with several national and regional water-related organisations in order to make significant contributions at the national, regional and global context.
To accomodate to these diverse interests, it is essential for MWA to strengthen its Secretariat and its two wholly-owned companies (MWM and MWR), develop new programmes and increase its membership. This requires both funds and enthusiastic support from more members. The following are some of the ways you can help MWA: